SISterhood’s third annual, Women of Note Speaker
Judge Barbara Lynn
Sunday, March 25, 2018 @ 12:00 noon
A graduate of the Dedman School of Law at Southern Methodist University. Judge Lynn was in private law practice from 1976 to 1999, when she was nominated to the U.S. District Court of the Northern District of Texas by President Bill Clinton, to fill the seat vacated by Harry Barefoot Sanders, Jr.
In 2016 she became the Chief Judge of the NORTHERN District of Texas, the first woman to hold that position. She has been the presiding judge in several notable cases in the Dallas area, including the case of former Dallas Mayor Pro Tem Don Hill, and the case of Dallas County Commissioner John Wiley Price.
CLICK HERE TO MAKE YOUR RESERVATIONS NOW!
SISterhood Torah Fund Honoree
Sunday, April 29, 2018 @ 11:30 am
Marsha was born in Waco and is a graduate of the University of Texas where she received a B.S. in Special Education. Upon graduation she moved to Dallas and taught in the DISD for 8 years. Before embarking on a new career in retail, in August 1978, Marsha attended a wedding in Waco of a good friend. It was at Friday night services that she met her future husband, Mike, from Peoria, Illinois. In June of 1979 they were married and 2 years later joined Shearith Israel.
After the birth of her first child, Eric in 1981, Marsha joined Sisterhood taking on various positions such as Oneg Shabbat catering chair and later college connection chair. Over the years, as a member of the Board, she held several Vice Presidencies, leading to her becoming Sisterhood President in 1995. During her tenure, a Shearith Israel Sisterhood Camp Ramah Endowment Fund was established. It was during those years in Sisterhood that she formed many long lasting friendships and gained a myriad of leadership skills.
Marsha sat on Shearith Israel’s Board of Directors for over 20 years until May, 2017. As a member of the synagogue Board, she chaired various committees. She was the Sandwich Drive Chairman for a number of years and last year, as House Committee Chair, Marsha was instrumental in getting the sisterhood to purchase new chairs for the congregation.
In the community, Marsha is involved with Women’s Philanthropy of Federation and has been a co-chair for several divisions over the years. She is a Life Member of Hadassah. Marsha and Mike are parents of 2 sons, Eric and Jordan.
SISterhood Special Interest Groups (SIGs) –
- Book Club – meets monthly @ Barnes & Noble, Preston Royal
- Jan 7, 2018 “I am My Brother’s Keeper” by Weiss & Weiss
- Feb 4, 2018 “My Jewish Year” by Abigail Pogrebin
- Mar 4, 2018 “Ester and Ruzya” by Masha Gessen
- Apr 8, 2018 “Weight of Ink” by Rachel Kadish
- May 6, 2018 “The Last Woman Standing” by Thelma Adams
- Jun 3, 2018 “Twenty-six Seconds” by Alexandra Zapruder
- Contact Diane Lifshen, email@example.com for more information.
- Yarn Yentas – meets monthly @ Whole Foods, Preston Forest
- Contact Lita Marishak, firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Lunch Bunch – meets monthly at eateries all across Dallas/Plano
- Contact Susan Schackman, email@example.com for upcoming dates/places.
- Cultural Programs – events planned around the Metroplex
- Contact Janice Statman, firstname.lastname@example.org for upcoming outings.
- Mahj Jongg – ***NEW SIG***
- Held at Shearith Israel
- Contact Ellen Bond, email@example.com to be included in upcoming dates.